Tuesday, July 31, 2012

What else can you do with cucumbers??

We have an abundance of cucumbers!  And I keep missing them until they are ginormous!!  (OK, about 8 inches long)


Cucumber Ketchup
ripe cucumbers
1 red pepper
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups vinegar (I prefer Apple Cider)  
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Peel enough cucumbers to make 8-10 cups. Add onion, capsicum, and enough water to prevent sticking. Cook slowly, stirring frequently, until tender.  I put mined in the crockpot and let it go for the whole day. Cook slowly, stirring frequently, until thick.

I made a batch of this last week....loved it!  Sadly, I didn't get it canned in time and someone thought it was the stuff I was setting aside for the chickens.....the chickens loved it too!

So I have another batch in the crockpot as I type this. 

2 comments:

Niki said...

Yummy!
Have you made pickles yet. Dill and garlic dill are my favorites, just in case you were wondering.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm pickles! dill & gerkins...yeah babeeeee!
Sheryl