Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Warm day! Lots done.

Well, it ended up that my friend from WV didn't make it over afterall.  Bummer.  But, I did get the chicken coop fixed up again, with the wind lately the plastic covers had pulled off.  Restapled them down.  Rehung the waterers.  Collected only 2 eggs today.  But discovered that one of the "hens" that we had been wondering about is definitely a roo.  His name is Gus.  (Because he hatched in the Aspara-gus patch!)


I started some seedlings today.  I saw an interesting blog post of how you put your seeds in milk jugs and keep them outside through the winter.  The rain and snow water them.  The jug acts like a mini greenhouse (Which Is what I used last spring when I put out my seedlings.)  but I had never heard of keeping them in the cold outside.  Apparently it makes the seedlings hardier.  We'll see.  I did 4 jugs today with cabbage, cauliflower, pickles, and watermelon.

No comments: