Tuesday, May 20, 2008

First entry...where we are...

Stuck in Westerville! We are looking for a new property for the homestead. We just can't stay in Westerville anymore. Between the neighbors and the high taxes (for a school system we don't use) it's time to go.

We've been looking for somewhere about 20-30 minutes from church / work (for me), within about 5 minutes from a highway (I71, SR23, SR161), with a MINIMUM of 2 acres (I'd prefer 5) with a pole barn / workshop that is about 1000 square feet. And at least 10% less in cost (but you know more is better!!) These are the absolutes. The "nice to haves" is another barn / building for animals, additional acreage, house about 1800 sq feet. Some trees and a fence already in place. A pond and windmill. And boy-howdy if it already had some alternative energy (solar, wind, or a wood fired water furnace) I would be tickled something pink!

So this is what we are praying for. That and that we would quickly find a buyer for our home while it is still FSBO that will pay a fair price, so we can afford a down payment on our dream and maybe a bit left over for paying off debt...or buying a cow!

Yes, my obsession with chickens has now turned to cows. Now that I know I am getting my "mini-flock" at the end of June, I have started looking at all the ends and outs of cattle-dairy and meat. I don't know nearly as much about cows...yet! But I found a really cute one on Craigslist (have I mentioned how much I >heart< Craigslist??? Here she is...


And she matches the chickens!!

I will post what is going on with getting the Westerville house ready to sell and the little "homesteading" things we are doing in the meantime to keep me content....did I mention we made homemade butter to go with our homemade wheat bread??? Hence...the need for a dairy cow.

(Yes, I realize to normal people I seem odd and somewhat insane currently, but I promise....this is normal...are you scared now?)

1 comment:

Niki said...

So excited about the new blog!