Monday, May 25, 2009

I'm back!!

Sorry for the long delay! Lots of updates to get through, so watch for multiple posts in the next few days as I have the opportunities.

The surgery went well. The surgeon took out "three pieces" of disc that were resting on the nerve. At this point, I don't think there could be much of that disc left. I didn't handle the anesthesia very well, and was ill again. Apparently, I also had a difficult time waking up from it this time. I spent the night in recovery as they had run out of beds in the hospital. It actually was fine because I basically had a nurse to myself (I shared her with only 1 other patient.) She looked like Sarah Palin, so I was in good hands :) After returning home, I slept for about 3 days, and then started walking and recovering. My wonderful homeschool group brought meals 3 times a week, and a few of my friends came to clean. Talk about humbling. I'm such a messie, and to see the ladies that I respect seeing the "real" me....sigh. But, it's been such a huge blessing! Just this past Thursday, I had my 4 week update with the surgeon. He has given me permission to start being more active, walking in the pool, biking, and lifting MORE than 5 pounds! Yippee. Do you know just how >>little<< 5 pound is???? I couldn't even lift more than 1/2 a gallon of milk for a month! OH, and after the 1st surgery 2 years ago, I had lost all the feeling in my 2 littlest toes on the right. After this surgery, they woke back up!! Of course, I know I can feel them again because the littlest on feels like it is dislocated, but HEY, I can feel it! WOOHOO! And even that is getting better. So that's the update on my crazy back!

Another side bit of news, back in February, the Boy and I went to go get pizza. While waiting we read a little one page newspaper called "The Coffee News". It had a paragraph about they were taking 100 word essays on who you would nominate to win a Urban Active Membership. The Boy said that I needed a membership. (Ah, the frank honesty of a child). So I told him he could write the essay for his English class. He did. Fast forward to the Monday after Easter. We were so sad as 6 of our 7 day-old chicks had met their demise during the night (more in the chicken update), when we got a call that, "Your essay has won the contest!" I was (and am) very proud of my Boy. And now I have a membership to a gym so I can "get skinny" as Boy wrote. In his essay, he mentioned how I've been trying to get fit after the last surgery, and I had to tell the editor from the paper, how I was going in for a second surgery the following week. Luckily, they made the gift certificate good through June. So I could start after being release by the surgeon.

So I have about 4 weeks to get strong, and get the house in order before heading back to work. I've got tons to get done! But I kinda am looking forward to working again.

No comments: