Monday, September 22, 2014

Guest Post from the Man: Dehydrating Grapes & Bananas

The drier is fired up this morning with sliced grapes (in halves) for making farm raisins and 4 bananas. One tray for 4 bananas means I could make 36 of them into slices and FILL the 9 tray dehydrator. WOW.



I'm really beginning to like dried fruits. No refrigeration, rotting, or waste of money. I don't know about you but grapes are the one thing that seems to get lost in the fridge and will go bad more often than not. Not anymore!
Bananas, grapes, and apples... oh yeah!...

 I just filled the rest of the drier with apples. They were plenty ripe and looks like I still have a couple more trays to do this afternoon. Apparently Gala apples don't last long after picking so dehydrating them is the way to go.

I use an el-cheapo slicer from Harbor Fright (intentionally misspelled) . Beware!

They get a few minutes to soak in Ball Fruit Fresh to help prevent browning...

You'd think 5 bananas would make a lot of chips. Well, you decide. This is a quart jar with all 5 of them sliced and dried. Worth the effort in taste and snacking convenience!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't get any of the dried fruit when I was there...have to snag some and check it out next time I'm there...I like nanners...
sheryl