Friday, March 11, 2011

Hit or miss...

I realize that my blog of late has been very...hit or miss...mostly miss. For that I apologize and I am finally ready to fully explain. I've hinted at it before...my health is currently not great. I started feeling really bad back in November and went to the doctor only to be told I had a double ear infection...that was "solved", so we thought. Still my face hurt, my ear hurt, my temple, my jaw, my cheek...I went to the dentist. I went to the eye doctor. Finally, back in January...my family doctor came back from maternity leave...woohoo...I love my doctor, she is good! I received a diagnosis...Trigminal Neuralgia...


"Trigeminal neuralgia (TN), tic douloureux[1] (also known as prosopalgia[2], the Suicide Disease[3] or Fothergill’s disease[4]) is a neuropathic disorder characterized by episodes of intense pain in the face, originating from the trigeminal nerve. One, two, or all three branches of the nerve may be affected. It is, "one of the most painful conditions known to humans, yet remains an enigma to many health professionals."[5] This pain may be felt in the ear, eye, lips, nose, scalp, forehead, cheeks, teeth, and/or jaw and side of the face; some patients also experience pain in their left index finger.[6] Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is not easily controlled and there is no cure.[7] It is estimated that 1 in 15,000 people suffer from trigeminal neuralgia, although the actual figure may be significantly higher due to frequent misdiagnosis. In a majority of cases, TN symptoms begin appearing after the age of 50, although there have been cases with patients being as young as three years of age. It is more common in females than males.  FROM WIKI

Fun, eh?? Yeah, I thought so. I thought, you know it's been months since I had something wrong....let's go with...TN. Yup. No really. So we have embarked on how to live with this new development. I've had to take some time off of work so I can sleep at night like a normal person , EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT..so we can get the anti-seizure medicines to work and see if that will solve the problem. You would think that sleeping every night and not being at work would mean that I would blog more often...you would think...but you would be silly, huh! I am still having TN attacks or seizures, granted not 6-8 a day as before, we're down to 2-3. But everytime I have one it just knocks the stuffing out of me and I end up taking a nap. I think the first week I was home (last week) I slept about 18 hours a day.

So I'm into my second week of being off of work, and now starting to be able to function just a bit. I've been thinking quite a bit about my 101 list and how some things are now looking unrealistic. I thought I could work on my "Milly" cross stitch that I have been working on since...whispering...1990. Yikes. I have the work, I even have the chart, but now I can't find the thread. So I'm laying in bed not doing much, except thinking about buying baby chicks from the feed store.....

1 comment:

Niki said...

I'm hoping that getting the correct level of meds in your blood will help.