Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mid July???ALREADY?

It's been awhile for posting as we've had tragedy and mayhem in the family. A very good friend of the family died in a tragic car accident leaving our son's 7 year old best girlfriend without her father. We've been doing all that we can to help and My Boy is having some trouble with the loss as well. He has issues with me going to work, so we're trying to work through that. Add to that the other deaths and sicknesses all around...

ON the homesteading side.....we went and looked at "our farm" again on Saturday. Boy I sure do like that place and the more we learn about it the more fitting (not saying perfect!) it is. We discovered this weekend that it has also been "reversed wired" which means that basically if you lose power you plug one plug at the front of the house into a generator and you have power. This is also good because it goes along with my hope to go "off grid" within 5 years using solar and wind power.

The barn lean tos are deeper than I thought so we will have plenty of room for the animals I am hoping to start with, and plenty of room to expand. Plus the orginal barn that has been redone is solid and tight and will be great for equipment and feed. The orginal hay mow is still intact for our hay, and there is a door at the back of the barn below the mow, leading into the animal part of the barn. Our initial monetary outlay is going to be the fences. Wood is expensive, but looks the best. I'd like to do wooden slat fences with wire mesh on the bottoms. We may be able to do it pasture by pasture because I don't think we will get all the animals right off. We will start with the chickens....OH, the chickens are being chicken sitted at the moment...we'll go get them tomorrow, so I should have pictures soon!

Then I think the next animal is going to be a cow. I found a Dexter, which is a great homesteading cow. It tends to be smaller than regular cows and it is considered a "dual breed". Some cows are best for meat, others for milk (just like with chickens and eggs) A Dexter is a good meat breed, and gives about 8 gallons (OMIGOSH) of milk A DAY, and are good mommies. I found one for a really reasonable price that is going to calf the first week in August. I told My Man that she was going to be his birthday gift! HAHAHA!

Well, I will do a better job of posting. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day though. I will be working an 16 hours shift at work and we are taking the first trailer full of stuff to the storage unit (already, I've been hunting for something I already packed!) and unloading it. My Man needs his trailer for the next load of wood for beds. OH, and I have to upload HIS newest creation for his bed line...very cute. He's still swamped with orders, praise God. I just wish we were in the new place so he could work more efficiently and not be so cramped. Soon hopefully. Plus we are to pick up Muffy, Buffy and Stuffy, and a bushel of cucumbers for me to make my first pickles! And I need to pick up other canning supplies too. Oh, and torrow is supposed to be a library day....that may get pushed out. I may not get the supplies done and I may not get pickles actually done until Wednesday, Thursday. On Tuesday, I'm working a 12 hour shift, then on Wednesday, I think I am taking the Boy and his little girlfriend to see WALL-E. Updates tomorrow, I'll do better, i promise.

No comments: