Monday, July 28, 2008

Strawberries

So this post is WAAAAYYY overdue! I had it in blogger and never posted it! I'm sorry! This should be dated back in June. The Boy and I went strawberry picking and got 14 pounds of the biggest, juiciest berries. Here he is picking out the best ones.















And our 14 pound haul after it was all said and done!
















Then I spent the next two days cleaning berries and putting up jam. I ended up with 14 containers of freezer jam (two didn't even make it into the freezer!) And 12 jam jars of traditional jam. I did have a live and learn moment that I will need to take a picture of for here... So after you water bathe the jam, while it is hot, you put the jars upside down so it will vacuum seal, but then you should turn the jar back over after about an hour while it cools. OK, so I didn't remember to turn them back right side up and all the jam jelled at the top of the jar leaving a 1 inch void at the bottom of the jar. Sigh. Live and learn. I could reboil them and get it back down, but it tastes the same either way right??



















And if my chicken obsession wasn't scary enough :) Check out these two berries I found. One looks like the front half of a chicken and the other one looks like the back. So I put them together so you could see my chicken strawberry! Some people see elephants in cloud, others see trolls in tree bark ;> Me, I see chickens in strawberries. (OK, her head is little, but check out that tail!)

2 comments:

Niki said...

Wow. that's a lot of berries. Personally, i would have just flipped the jars over and let the jam fall to the bottom.

Rea said...

I tried that but it was jelled and is stuck!