Thursday, July 31, 2008

Working on the Chicken Tractor

Today was a fun family Chicken day. We worked on building the tractor as the birds grazed in the front yard. I had been afraid that they would wander off and that's why they needed penned, but now I'm thinking it's so dogs, racoons and others don't get them. The Buffies stayed in the same 8 foot area. Last year we had 4 of our 30 year old ash trees chopped down. Apparently it didn't kill the trees because we have bushes growing from the stumps. The birds found one of the stumps/bushes and claimed it as their own. They would get under the bush, and up on the stump (in the middle of the bush) and peep out from time to time.
They did venture out and take in some weeds and grass (and bugs) from other areas, and would come to the driveway and look at us building their new home.





Here is My Man and The Boy laying out one of the sides.....














And me, stapling the poultry netting down.





UG! Not a lovely picture!!








The Boy has adopted his favorite birdie, Buffy. I saw him carrying Buffy all over the yard, in the wheelbarrow, and I think I saw her take a ride on the razor scooter at one point. Muffy and Stuffy may be going back to their orginal farm this week as I'm pretty sure they are roos and not pullets. So we will switch them out for girls. I don't want to spend a season taming them only for them to become "Chicken n Dumplings." :)






A Boy and His Bird! It's a beautiful thing!!











We ran out of screws for the tractor, so we will finish it up, hopefully today (as long as it isn't raining too hard.) Stay tuned! More pictures on the way!