Friday, August 22, 2008

Putting in the fall garden.

(Pictures will be posted soon-on other card)

I know I've mentioned my deep appreciation for Craigslist before *ahem* I found a wonderful lady that grows veggies and sells the plants at dirt cheap prices. So even though I didn't get my garden in this past spring, I have put in a fall garden. I did some research on http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/ and found that in my area I still had time to really get some good things grown. SO I spent $20 from the garden lady and got 5 HUGE, and I mean huge (As tall and 1 taller than me at 5'10") tomato plants, 2 bell peppers (sorry, N) 1 Sweet Pepper, 1 Japanese Eggplant for the Boy-he wanted to see the purple veggies, 2 cucumber plants, 2 zucchini, 2 summer squash, and 20 broccoli plants. Oh, and oregano, cilantro, basil and chives. Pretty good for $20, eh?!?!

Then we have the strawberries that I planted in the spring that have started to bear again, and the pathetic raspberries and blackberries. I do have ONE red raspberry on the bush.

So the Boy and I worked on putting in the garden today. I had the coop open and we only have 1 birdie that comes out to see us and that's only on the rare occasion. They are pretty content in their home. Well, today as we are working the wonderful planting boxes that the Man built (5ftx5ft) here Buffy comes right into the box. She walked across the yard to see us. Then along comes Muffy and Dumpling. All helped to "cultivate" the garden. And Muffy took a dirt bath. They wandered around looking for good bugs and even went out into the woods. I was amazed that they would come when I called them. And when I picked up the feed, well, it's a RIOT to see chickens run! Muffy even flew, but ended up landing in the firepit (thank goodness, it wasn't lit) but she got all ash-y.















I can't convince the Boy that his sweatband should actually be on his forehead. Ah, well, whatever cools him off!


Here he has his Buffy.










The "State of the Garden" address is schduled for August 25th.

No comments: