Tuesday, January 6, 2009

MON: Day 6

Well, today was a bit of a bust on the homestead-except we were back to getting 4 eggs! Good girls!

I'm working mandatory OT at my J.O.B. on both Mondays and Tuesdays for the whole entire month, add to that already working an extra 14 hours this weekend....I'm tired.

Boy had a vision therapy appointment, but we didn't make it because he woke up sick. Poor thing. Might have something to do with the fact that he was out riding his razor yesterday with a spring jacket on...but Stormy the dog, now HE had on a winter coat, over his God-given fur coat. SIGH.

Money spent today $2.29 for my Diet Citrus Drop addiction. (12 pack- should last 4 days)

Breakfast: Bananas, Cookie Crisp Cereal, and vitamins
Lunch: Man had canned soup and crackers, Boy and I slept through lunch
Dinner: Man had frozen lasagna, Boy had boiled Star egg, peanut butter crackers, cheese stick, and lego fruit snacks (I orginally gave him Mac n Cheese and was told it smelled like poison-yeah, I feel great about my cooking ability. grin)

OK, so our meal options were not great today, that happens with oodles of overtime and sick kids. Tomorrow I will be making bread again, and something warm and nutritious.

ON HOMESTEAD NEWS: I've started perusing the seed catalogs and dreaming of spring. Later this month I will get my itty bitty tomato seeds planted under a grow light in the house. I will also be planting lettuce, spinach and herbs to grow because they are so quick growing that we can just eat them from out of the window box.

I also spent last night looking at numerous chicken hatchery sites trying to decide what 3 chickens we are going to add to the family. I really like our 4 and am tempted to just get the same breeds, but then I also want to try other breeds. Boy I wish we were out in the country so I didn't have to limit my chicken habit.

Here are the ones I am thinking of....another Arica, a Cuckoo Maran (lays dark chocolate colored eggs) A silkie bantam. For non-chicken hugging readers: Bantam means smaller than the standard breeds. Silkie is just that, their feathers are more like down and very soft and lays down more like hair. Some also have feathers on their feet that look like slippers. They lay smaller eggs, but from what I've read the yolks are the same size as standard eggs and actually lower in cholesterol. I also like the Lace Wing Sussex because they are really pretty. I've thought about getting a white egg laying hen also. I posted an ad on Craigslist to find others that needed day old chicks, because they won't send less than 25...and really, I CANNOT have 25 more chicks...really...no, Rea, you CANNOT! Opinions are welcome.


I'm also excited because it looks as though I may have more customers for my eggs than I thought. At church on Sunday, I was talking with my one friend who has said all along that she wanted eggs, and another mom piped up that she wanted some too! Horray! I don't think that I will make money at selling eggs. My goal for selling eggs is to maintain the chickens. The money I get for eggs goes back into feed for them, plus we are still getting eggs for our family. I figure at the pace they are currently going, I will be able to do just that. Feed is about $20 a month, two dozen eggs a week at $2.50 a dozen will be exactly that. And leaves about 4 eggs per week for us to use.

No comments: