Thursday, January 29, 2009

Intentional Christian Community

This is an email that MAN recently sent out to our homeschool group about Intentional Communities....

"Have you ever wondered if you could ever life like the Amish? If you're like me certain aspects of it are appealing. Not everything, of course, but then not everything in our modern life is all that appealing. Ok, so I wouldn't adopt Amish doctrine and I'm not talking about an isolationist cult but a Christian community of caring, loving, serving, like-minded folks who still are hungry for more of what the Lord has for us
and to be obedient to the Great Commission. The new term is Intentional Christian Community.

I've mentioned this once before briefly and since then Rea and I have done a little research into the subject. We even traveled to a small one community in eastern Ohio and met with folks for a day. Each community would certainly have its own unique characteristics and this one was on the wane and had little land left to develop.

The idea is simple and mostly self-sufficient and debt-free living depending on technology as available and focusing on developing the simple skills of farming, construction, and home-making. Members have the choice and are encouraged to attend their own church or attend "simple church" or housechurch as some of you have heard of.

Recently a start-up community contacted me through a network of interested folks. We have been having a wonderful time of online and phone fellowship and discussing the development of this community. We haven't decided to join yet as there are lots of details to work out and to determine our compatability.

In the next few weeks we will be traveling to meet with the founder and 3 or 4 other
families who are planning to start developing the land this year. 150 acres are
already purchased and somewhat developed. There is more land nearby and they are also looking at an additional 60 acres with some infrastructure, pasture, and
timber.

Interestingly the founder and I have both attended a log home builder's school in Washington state. Neither of us had any prior knowlege of this. He has weighed
the benefits and low cost of building log homes from scratch and is leaning toward a compressed adobe (rammed earth) type construction. It's cheap, available, fast, uses on-site resources (dirt) has superior insulation properties, and needs no mortar. Details and videos areavailable online at http://www.adobemachine.com/ .

The whole idea appeals to me considering the times we live in. There are huge uncertainties facing all of us (especially Christians) who want to preserve our faith for future generations. Economic upheaval, energy, food, climate, political. Know this, that if you don't know what might hit you, then you won't be prepared when it does. I believe that the time to prepare is now while our government is still able to keep things afloat for a little longer.

If any of you are interested I will add you to my email list and try to keep you informed of our progress. I won't be using GBHEF for this purpose so you will have to let me know your email address to keep informed.

Thanks for your time. God keep you and
bless you."



Like he mentioned, we have been to visit a community that was about an hour and a half away from our current home. We are going out to meet the founder and his family (and the other families) of this new community. It's further away than we had planned for ourselves, but if it's God's calling then that is where we will go. We are also open to the idea that maybe this is a fact mission to start our own right here with the families that we already know and love, near our current church. We are in deep prayer as this will affect our family in a BIG way. But as I've said before, we have a BIG God! We have some very large hurtles that stand in our way, but if it is His will....

Please pray with us that we would be able to discern what we are being lead to do, and to be bold and brave with whatever the outcome is. And that the fears that we both have would be calmed and questions answered.

8 comments:

Shannan said...

I accidentally stumbled across your website as I was searching for information.. We are feeling pulled "out" of our current lifestyle and feel God is leading us to a self-reliant lifestyle. It has been very difficult to find information! your post was a breath of fresh air. If you have any more information I'd love to hear about it! please email me. jsthiel@photosavvy.com Thanks!

Anonymous said...

For the past few years I have been watching our culture become more and more toxic. We recently pulled our 11 year old out of the school system and began homeschooling because of what she is being taught and exposed to by the other students. I have been thinking about how great it would be to live in a community of other christians who want to live "simple". I have always enjoyed living like that. Every year we have raised a huge garden to supply us for the year. We have owned milk goats, rabbits for meat and raised chickens and ducks. So I know the difficulties and joys of producing our own food. This hasen't discouraged me, but made me long for more. My question is how would we form a christian community that didn't end with coolaid drinking? That is not meant as a joke. I have seen many "christians" form communties only to end in horrific abuses, unbiblical practices, or mass death. It makes me admire our forefathers even more. They came to our country and formed small communities of christians without straying for the most part.

Anonymous said...

We have been seeking a community like this. Christian communities like this are hard to find. We would love to be on the mailing list for updated information. Thank you! I don't have a google account right now, but will get one set up. Please email us at:
countrygal220@hotmail.com

Nataly said...

My husband and I are also planning an intentional Christian community and would love to join your email list - if not to join this community at least to establish fellowship with another like-minded group of people. We also have land ready to be developed.

D. Stall said...

I'm in the same (or similar) boat to everyone else: family property will be sold if I can't find like minds and kindred spirits to form intentional community. Regarding comment by Anonymous: the only thing I've found to keep from ending up drunk in a Kool-aid community is to follow time honored Church Tradition, the path of salvation (AKA spiritual warfare) handed down by the apostles and Church Fathers (& Mothers) who transmitted that Tradition by way of spiritual elders from one generation to the next. See http://lifegivingspring.info/LGS/living/economy/consumerism/

Nolarond said...

My wife and I feel lead by the Spirit to do this also. I wish He would lead us to other like-minded followers to do this together. We feel lead to stay in Wisconsin right now- mostly because of the favorable homeschooling laws.

Laura said...

Hello All.

I came across your lovely website by accident as I was searching for a like-minded intentional community. I have 4 children, ages 22, 20, and 21 month old twins. I have homeschooled the older ones and plan to homeschool my twins. Public schools scare me to death - with their curriculum, policies, etc. Please add me to your email list and keep me posted as to developments. (I am just north of Madison, Wisconsin.) laura_lee_hancock@yahoo.com. Thank you very much!

Unknown said...

Hi everyone! Ive always been drawn to the amish lifestyle. I'm a born again Christian looking to join a Christian community of likeminded people who all work together and help each other out. Id love to be part of the community. Please contact me. I can be reached at Hpadgett84@gmail.com. Godspeed