Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sorry I've been MIA! Chicken Update

WHEW...it has been awhile since I've posted! The boy came down with a bad cold, and that's when he feels the most lovey-dovey. Guess who he lovey-dovey-ed (is that a word) on? Yup, that me! So then I got a really good cold. I haven't called into work since last February, and I actually called in on 1/14. And that was a GREAT night NOT to go to work. We got about an 1/2 inch of freezing rain followed by about 3 inches of snow...followed by negative temperatures. So...I stayed under the heated blanket and slept! Oh, and for all the times I've said that sleep is over-rated.....I WAS WRONG! :)

What's been happening? Hmm...let's see...let's start with the chickens. Yes, I will get pictures up of Arica and Star...soon, and also our winter shelter. But for now (since I am stuck at work without the tail to my camera...again!) I'll give the lowdown on the eggs...

1/8
1/9
1/10
1/11
1/12
1/13
(I'll update these tonight as I don't have my "egg calendar" with me.
1/14- 0 eggs
1/15 - 1 egg also 1* outside.
1/16 - Bought a Brooder heat lamp at the feed store-2 eggs
1/17 - 2 eggs
1/18 - 4 eggs /Star's egg was crushed in the box
1/19 - 3 eggs
1/20 - 1 egg

I'm concerned about Star's eggs. She has had the most issues of all my birds (well, besides the one that died-grimace!) She is the one with the lame foot, and a huge patch of broken feathers on her back (They still haven't grown back and we've had her for almost 3 full months). Well, she consistantly give the JUMBO eggs...usually with a double yolk, but then some days she lays the "egg liner" with no shell and no egg. Her eggs, even when jumbo, have a very brittle shell. The others have hard shells and there is grit mixed with their food, so....she may have to be Sunday dinner. I'll give her another month or two, and in the meantime be checking the internet to see if there is anything else I can do for her.

I have put an ad on Craigslist to get some other people to go in on a chicken order for February. It looks like I might actually have enough interest to put an order in. I only need 4 (possibly 10), but you can't order less than 25. We have decided on a new breed to raise and sell (maybe). First, check out this auction...now I realize that this may be a fluke auction but still......
http://www.eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1231471540

And here is the "American Eskimo" Chickens that we want to raise to sell...

As a day old chick..















As a "grown up"
































They are called "Silkies" and their feathers are like fur, they have as BOY puts it "Slippers on their feet." and the meat is actually black skinned.

2 comments:

Niki said...

I've missed you!
I think it is hilarious that you want to get chickens to match your dogs.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks like something out of Dr. Seuss!