Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The tiller guy that came out last fall, is coming tomorrow to re-till the garden spot for me.  He emailed to let me know he would be in the area the day before so I spent the day hauling out only half of the spent litter from the hen house.  I still have about half to do, but managed to pull 28 wheelbarrel loads of sawdust mixed with chicken poo and dumped it into the garden.  It was so pretty today and our first really warm day this spring.  I actually got a bit of pink on my face.

The winter was hard on the hens, but now we are on the other side.  They've been out free ranging for the past week and it looks like their "people pox" as my future DIL says "chicken pox on chickens" are finally gone and Lacey whose right eye has not been seen since early January actually opened her eye today.  The swelling is finally gone.  It's still milky looking and she swivels her head all the way round to see, but improvement.  The sunshine and fresh air has upped egg production and we are getting between 13-15 eggs a day now.  I took the light out of the coop and took the plastic off the windows.

Ah, spring!  OH, and happy St. Patrick's Day!  I have corned beef in the crockpot cooking and cabbage waiting to be cooked.

Iona out in the pasture

No comments: