Thursday, October 29, 2009

Back in the fold...

Well, I did end up catching Scarlett. It was quite a feat!


After spending that first morning…almost two hours trying to catch her and getting frustrated…I said “let the raccoons have her.” Now everyone knows I didn’t really mean that. So I spent the night at work praying for God to watch over her. He did. In the morning, I drove over to the house, and she just walked right in front of me.  Right into the woods….another 2 hours of chasing her around trees and in and out of sticker bushes…again back to the raccoons!

So fast forward 10 hours later…the boy and I came back and saw her again. The two of us chased her out of thorns and almost caught her a few times…no luck. After about an hour it was time to take the Boy to church for Christian Service Brigade. After dropping him off, I went back to the house one last time.

Who am I kidding?? I couldn’t catch her in the daylight, so here I am walking through the woods, in the dark, thinking I can catch a chicken… Low and behold…there was a “rock” on the wood pile. Looking closer…it had feathers…..snag….right around the neck!!! She let out a scream that should have brought the police!! Every dog in the neighborhood started barking and howling. If the neighbors weren’t overjoyed that I was moving before….they definitely were now! So I put her in the box and she started growling….yes, growling. Now you know, chickens growl.

But now she is back with the flock. And it will likely be weeks before she lays again!

No comments: