Monday, October 26, 2009

I seem to only write on Sundays and Wednesdays. I'll try to get a few more days in there, but right now that is when it is 'less busy' at work and I can squeeze in a few minutes.

Well, we found renters for the house in Westerville. I will be meeting with her this morning to get the application and they need to be out of their current home by Oct 30 due to closing being moved up, so I have just 2 days to get the rest of the stuff out of the house in Westerville. Luckily our van is finally back from the shop after having the whole back axel rebuilt...long story..so hopefully we can get that stuff moved out early. We also managed to get the trailer stuck in the mud on the path back to the big barn....nuts!! We were moving stuff from the workshop to be stored in the big barn until I can figure out what to do with it. It was my plan that all the "stuff" from the shed in W'ville would go out there too. We'll have to see what will happen next.

I did explore a bit this weekend and finally went into the "falling down" stable. It is not nearly as rickety as I thought. I am seeing a future "Memory Lane Barn!" It is two story and about 20X20. Big windows in the upstairs perfect for a 'bunk room' and a great cropping room in the downstairs. This is L O N G term plans...like 2+ years from now. In the meantime, I did find 2-3 boxes full of canning jars!! So the pears will *hopefully* soon have a home. Speaking of the pears, they are currently 'chillin' in the pump house.

We are almost out of wood for the fireplace, but Man has found an Amish sawmill not far from home that sells slabwood bundles for a very reasonable price. Slabwood is the wood that is trimmed off before they make boards (The bark and rounded sides). Now that we have the van back, we'll go get some. We also have a cord of hardwoods being delivered in November, so we should be set for the winter. We've been able to keep the house very comfortable for the past two weeks with just wood. Even with the freezing temperatures at night.

Last night (Saturday) as Boy and I were unpacking in his room we saw a hayride go down our road. We have a few retreat centers right around us. One on the road and another around the corner. They could see us through his huge 6X6 picture window, we waved and when they came back past about 20 minutes later, all the riders were hollering and yelling hello! How FUN!

We're also hoping to finally get the chickens moved. I have not yet been able to get the new flock, or get my girls out to the farm. That is one of this weeks priorities. Besides getting everything out of the W'ville house. I haven't yet decided what to do with the chicken yard and house. The house needs work for the girls to be safe and it is on the agenda, but other priorities seem to keep bumping it out. In the meantime, I will start the chicken tractor on the garden and start getting it fertilized and the grass decimated for spring. Hopefully by the end of November, before the brutal cold, I can have the chicken house shored up and ready. Maybe by Friday I can get the new birds in as well.

I know I will get more posting done this week (and less work done) as I will be working an extra two days this week, for a total of 23 extra hours. So keep tuned.

No comments: